Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Latest News on Custom Arrows

Well, folks… I’ve put this off as long as I could, but I’m afraid I have to do it…

I need to raise my prices.

Every time I’ve ordered arrow shafts in the last year the price has been higher than the previous order. I try to keep the cost under control by ordering in bulk but it still adds up.
My main feather supplier raised prices last January and I’ve been absorbing the difference for the past 11 months.
It’s just gotten to the point where I can no longer afford to keep the prices where they are.

I’ll hold off for another month, but effective January 1st prices for a dozen arrows will go up $10.
So a dozen arrows of the basic design that have been selling for $70 will now be $80. The crowned and crested arrows that have been $90 for the dozen will now be $100. Other designs will see a similar increase.

No matter how I justify the increase, this is still a lot of money and I recognize that. However, if you peruse other custom arrow makers I think my work will still stand as a good value for what you receive.

I use only hand spined shafts that have been weight matched to +/- 10 grains (usually much closer in weight). Unless otherwise requested, all arrows come cut to the specified length, tapered for a tip, and field points firmly glued on. Arrows I make are ready to shoot when you receive them and this is included in the price rather than added to it as many arrow makers do.

And… all the arrows I make are true custom arrows. While I have some basic guidelines to assist folks with decisions, there is no catalog where you choose Combo A or Option 4. You and I will be working together to get true custom arrows that you can be proud of in the field or on the range.

I’ll tell you a secret… do you know the most common email I get when someone has just received their new arrows?
“These are too pretty to shoot!”
I’m just as proud of the arrows I make as their new owners are.

As I mentioned, I’ll stay with the old prices through the month of December. If you order and pay for arrows in December we’ll use the lower price. If you make your order on the first of the year I’m going to look at you with sad eyes and charge you a bit more than the day before.


Thank you for your support.

6 comments:

Stéfano said...

I have a list of somethings i just need to buy when i travel to the US, and for sure some of tour arrows are in that list!

Stéfano said...

Hey, greenman, i wanna ask you something. I am looking for it in PaleoPlanet but i cant find it. What is the name of this "workbench" shes using to make her bow? I am trying to find something to help me build one of this. Can you help me?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-j7A6xiTLz1I/Tpy10KFn20I/AAAAAAAABLw/y411Go9iRHI/s1600/001.JPG

See ya!

Stéfano said...

Actually i got it!


http://www.freewoodworkingplan.com/index.php?search=shaving+horse

The name is Shaving Horse :)

Guy Taylor said...

Stefano, there are many different plans and styles for the shaving horse. I made the one Amanda is using from plans in a traditional archery magazine. If you'd like a copy of the plans, email me at guy.taylor@sbcglobal.net and I'll send them to you. The magazine has given me permission to do so.

Craig Holder said...

100.00 for the quality of work you give is cheap as hell. up here in Canada, 12 custom arrows is 120.00-160.00 depending on the fletcher you find.

Anonymous said...

My name is Seth Bivens, and I am 15. I got a PSE Stalker Recurve bow for Christmas and I have been looking for quality arrows to shoot because plastic fletched arrows don't shoot right on my bow. I have one question. Will I be able to put a broadhead on these arrows or are the practice tips permanent?