Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Great Day at the Gourd Farm

Last Friday the company where I have my day job was closed for the 4th of July but my department was open (and it was busy! what was everyone doing calling us instead of enjoying the holiday?). It was my turn to work the holiday so I didn't get the day off. But I got to make up for that by taking this Friday off!

Fayme and I have been having so much fun with gourds again that we decided to take a safari down to Temecula, CA to visit the Welburn Gourd Farm to re-stock on gourds for particular projects we've been thinking of. At least, that was my plan. Fayme tends to wander around, get interesting gourds, and only decide later what to do with them. I usually pick mine with a particular use or end in mind.
Fayme took a few photos while we were there:





If you live close enough or happen to be passing through the area, I can't recommend visiting Welburn highly enough. You'll find great folks who will be happy to answer all your questions about this fascinating and versatile art medium. As you can see, their selection is vast. In that little building in the background you can purchase all the tools and supplies you could want to make great art.

Update: Garith had a question about pricing for Welburn gourds so I thought I'd post a link to that particular page of the Welburn site. Wholesale at the farm is definately the way to go if you're in the area. Also, I suggest buying un-cleaned gourds. They are way cheaper than already cleaned gourds and I think half the fun is seeing the gourds character emerge from beneath the field dirt. Cleaning the gourds isn't at all difficult.

5 comments:

Garith said...

Oh that looked like a fun trip. What are their prices like?

Guy Taylor said...

Even though I don't have another gourd source to compare the prices to, I feel they are very reasonable. There are other gourd farms around the country but due to their location I'd have to mail order from them. With Welburn I live close enough that we can make a trip down there and hand pick the gourds we want to work with.
Gourd prices generally go by diameter. The larger the diameter, the more costly the gourd. Some specialty gourds like snake, cucumber, or warty can have different price schedules. To tell the truth, those aren't gourds I use for my art so I haven't payed attention to their prices. In order that more people can see it, I'll post a link to the price page of Welburn's site back on the blog.
Take care, Guy

Garith said...

Thank you that was helpful. Now to just make some time and pick some up. I have been thinking of making a gourd canteen.

Marianne Oberle said...

Guy,Been trying to track you down. Remember Tessa, the girl you made those Legolas arrows for? And now Cullan needs some new arrows (he's almost 6 feet tall). Still trying to get him interested in bow making. Oh, and Tessa needs some new arrows too. She's thinking of joining SCA -- are you still involved with them?

Guy Taylor said...

Marianne!
What a wonderful surprise to hear from you.
I'd be more than happy to help with arrows for your clan. Just don't make me do "Legolas" arrows again, that elf took over the custom arrow business for a while :-)
Fayme and I have not been in the SCA for quite some time, but if Tessa is looking for answers I'd be happy to help.
You can reach me directly at guy.taylor@sbcglobal.net

Take care, Guy